Yield: 9 servings
Prep: 35 minutes
Total Time: 38 minutes
9 Italian Milk Buns
16 oz. Heavy Whipping Cream (hot)
7 oz. White Chocolate (shaved or finely chopped)
1 Tbsp. Matcha Powder
Cream Bun Dust
- Place the white chocolate shavings into a large glass bowl.
- Using a microwave safe bowl, pour in 8 oz. of the heavy whipping cream. Heat for 30 seconds, stir, and then heat for another 30 seconds. Be sure to watch the heavy whipping cream, as it will bubble and potentially spill over. The cream must be hot. You may need to microwave for an additional 20 - 30 seconds.
- Pour the heated cream over the top of the white chocolate shavings. After 3 - 5 minutes, gently stir with a fork, or whisk, until a glossy ganache has formed. If this is your first time making ganache, you will likely doubt a ganache will form. Have no worries! I promise it will.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and then place in the fridge for about 1 hour, or until cooled completely.
- Retrieve, and uncover the chilled white chocolate ganache. Pour in the remaining 8 oz. of heavy whipping cream. Then, using a fine mesh sieve, dust 1 Tbsp. of matcha powder on top of the cream. Whisk until stiff peaks have formed, and all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Now, cut the italian milk buns down the center. Do not cut all the way through. Carefully pull the two sides apart, making room for the whipping cream. Using a bench scraper, smooth the top of the cream and clean any cream that spilled onto the bun surface.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1l part matcha and 2 parts powdered sugar. Then, using a fine mesh sieve, dust all of the buns with the desired amount of matcha sugar powder. Serve!