Prep Time: 15 minutes (+ 1 Hour Chill time)
Total Time: 1 Hour 35 minutes
163g Plain Flour
100g Chilled Butter (Cubed)
63g Caster Sugar
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Egg Yolk
Sugar for decoration
- Place your flour and butter into a bowl and using your thumbs and tips of your fingers, you want to rub the ingredients into a rough breadcrumb consistency; it may take a few minutes (This can also be achieved using a food processor).
- Next add your sugar, vanilla, egg yolks, and knead by hand until just combined in the bowl. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- When the time is up, preheat your oven to 180C (160C fan); remove your dough from the fridge and place on a floured surface. Some extra kneading just to combine it may be necessary. Roll out to a half a cm thick, then using the cookie cutter of your choice, cut and place on a baking tray with enough space for them to spread as they cook.
- Sprinkle with sugar before popping in the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes on the tray before transferring them to a cooling rack to fully cool.